If you have a specific need for Sun Java 6 (such as the all important Pogo.com games), there are a number of ways to install Sun Java, but the easiest way I've found is by using Roberto Ferramosca's PPA. Roberto has been an incredible contributor to Ubuntu for a few years now. Follow these simple instructions to get Sun Java 6 running on your Ubuntu computer (this will work for Ubuntu 10.04 or newer):
- Open the Ubuntu Software Center
- Click Edit > Software Sources
- Click on the "Other Software" tab
- Click the "Add" button
- Now copy & paste this: ppa:ferramroberto/java
- Click "Add Source"
- Click "Close"
- Click "Reload" if it asks
- Open Synaptic Package Manager
- Search for Sun-Java and install these packages:
Its about 100mb to download and once the install finishes, thats it!
You can test to see if Java is working fine by going here:
Or try a Pogo game: http://www.pogo.com/